Saturday, March 6, 2010

Energy in a cup without the caffeine


I remember a time when I used to go to bed looking forward to my morning cup of coffee. Oh man, there really is nothing like that first cup. So comforting, so energizing. Mmmm coffee. Just how I liked it. Soy creamy delicious. How could I start my day without my familiar friend here, sharing my morning with me, giving me a pep talk for the day, filling me with the energy that-God knows-I needed? Gulp and boom I was ready to go! Weeee!!

Until about a few hours later. My lids would get heavy, my body cranky. Or maybe I didn't have time for breakfast and I would get the coffee-on-an-empty-stomach shakes and near crack head like behavior. Oh and heaven forbid I miss a cup cuz those withdrawal headaches are hell! And the crankiness, the dependency, the crash and burn. How could you coffee! I thought you loved me. Dirty bastard! I'll never go near you again...never...um...until...maybe...well maybe just one more cup. Damn you.

Coffee. That is one hard addiction to break. Or just caffeine really. Energy drinks, oh yeah I dabbled in those too. Anyone remember TAB the energy drink? Crack in a cute pink can for us girls! Yum yum I love the taste of cancer causing sugar substitutes. I remember drinking this one energy drink called Redline. You actually had to be 18 years old to buy this thing. Seriously. I decided to give it a rest when I woke up with what felt like a hangover after drinking it the night before.

But what do we do? In a world that demands so much movement from us, so much energy and attention where do we go for that needed lift? Chances are the diets that most of us partake in are robbing us of energy instead of offering it to us and any new found vegan or vegetarian will tell you that the energy you gain from a simple switch of your diet is incredible. But a lot of us aren't ready to take that step. So, lets take another route, perhaps a more comfortable one, towards a healthier, more energetic life style.

You can experience the vast energy of your own health by exploring the different options of what you put in your cup.


Please let me introduce you to, if you have not already been so blessed to have met, my dear friend Kombucha.

Kombucha is the nectar of the Gods.

It's known as a Chinese tea, but more precisely it is a living culture of beneficial microorganisms. It is cultured for 30 days, a process likened to fermentation, and bottled. The benefits of drinking this "tea" are incredible. During the 30 day process essential nutrients form like active enzymes, viable probiotics (which are hard for a vegan to get otherwise), amino acids, antioxidants and poly phenols. It creates balance in the body, aids in detoxification and works wonders. And I have found, during my long love affair with the stuff, that it offers me SO MUCH ENERGY. In fact, I drink it in the morning now instead of coffee. It's a different sort of energy than caffeine. It's smooth and shiny and when I drink it I get the sense that whatever this energy that I'm experiencing is, it has been released from within my body by this drink and not forced upon me like caffeine can make me feel. There is also no crash. There is no burn. It simply gives you more energy because it restores balance in your body and allows it to operate at a better efficiency. I love to drink it before I step on set or on stage because it makes me feel so clear headed, so alert and open to what's happening. And it's tasty! Well...most people think so. It can take a little getting used to, some people say it tastes a little like vinegar, but I find it 100% delicious.

The picture above is of the Kombucha I drink, "GT's Kombucha". GT is a fella who began bottling Kombucha after his mothers success with battling cancer while she was drinking it. He's started a liquid revolution. The stuff is beautiful, made with love and AMAZING for your health and energy. It comes in all flavors too! Whole Foods sells it and the other day I made the happiest discovery. I was at the Whole Foods in Glendale when my husband and I stumbled upon...are you ready for this?...GT's Kombucha on tap!!

I had to have my husband restrain me from jumping over the counter, sticking the nozzle in my mouth and hoping up into a keg stand. I hear that it's also on tap at the Whole Foods in Pasadena. Run don't walk!

Another new discovery in my life has been Kangen Water.


My sweet hubby tried it and came to me enthusiastically about all the health benefits of drinking this super water. I said "what in the world is Keggle Water?" And he summed it up for me:

Kangen Water is water that has gone through a process of electrolysis which causes it to become alkaline and a very, very powerful antioxidant (I've heard it said that a glass of Kangen Water has more antioxidants than a glass of fresh orange juice). Basically, we eat foods that are bad for us, drink water that is bad for us, breath in toxic air that is...well...bad for us. All of this lowers our bodies pH levels to levels that can be dangerously acidic. Kangen Water works to restore the body to it's proper pH level and perhaps become even more alkaline.

Also, Kangen Water has smaller molecules, which means it is more readily absorbed by the body. Ordinary tap water or unprocessed bottled waters have larger water molecules which tend to pass through the body without reaching individual cells. Without proper re-hydration, these cells can suffer from a form of cellular dehydration and either die too soon or fail to function efficiently. Kangen Water has the ability to rehydrate these cells before they dry out. It's oxygen packed water.

I'm not really one for believing a thing unless I have a direct first hand experience of it, so I was a little doubtful of all of this silly water business. But, Jimmy asked me if I would drink nothing but Kangen Water for one week and see what I thought then. So I did. And honestly, I had SO much more energy. I was amazed. I'm a very energetic person as is and the fact that just drinking this water increased my energy to the extent that it did blew me away. There must really be something behind all of this. I remember being amazed that I didn't have a problem getting out of bed in the morning. I usually play tag you're it with my snooze button forever, but after drinking Kangen Water I could just pop to. And I remember cooking rice with it one day and in half the time it usually takes the rice was done! Don't ask me how cuz man I ain't got no idea. But isn't that cool?

Jimmy and I have found a Kangen Water store right near our house and we fill up a big jug of it every few days and it's all we drink. It's inexpensive and pretty miraculous. Kangen Water stores are popping up all over the place, bet there is one near you. Give it a shot! What do you have to lose?

There's nothing wrong with drinking caffeine, enjoying a little coffee or green tea. But, it's good to know that there are options out there that can help fuel our busy lives in ways that are full of benefits for our health, are addiction free and encourage us to let our best selves flow in and out into our world, making waves where we wish or just sailing steady. It's salvation to know that you can turn your whole life into a loving act beginning with the smallest of choices. Just asking, "what do I put in my cup today?" can have transformational effects on you and your journey and on all of those thirsty souls who follow close on your heels.

3 comments:

  1. This is so true and so great!! My husband and I have been off caffeine for 6 days now, and we just discovered something else too...we even had it in our fridge but weren't using it! It's...Teechino!!!! Man..when you're not drinking coffee, it tastes so much like coffee (we even brewed it the same way), so if you love the taste you can still get it without the nasty side effects! Plus its a prebiotic and it energizes you from nutrients, not caffeine! There's so many choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keggle Water!! Haha!! I love you sweet! Thanks for making your fat hubby a healthier man..just dont tell em about the new vegan cookie habit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blogs Ciera. I stopped eating meat last October I think? and have really gained an interest in healthy eating and healthy food alternatives. It's fascinating! Keep it up, your writing is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete